Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What Does It Mean?

So. As a new real estate agent I am forced to start looking at myself from all different angles. Who I am, where do I want to go, and how do I wrap that up into a nice little package called a "Brand." What IS my brand?

Well, had I not gotten divorced two years ago forcing me to evaluate my whole existence and why I am who I am, I may still be clueless as to what I want and where I want to go.

However, divorce is much like a death and rebirth. It's a death of an idealistic way of thinking and dreaming into a harsh reality of facing what is really there in front of you. It's moments of stupidity and self destruct, and finally learning, trying, failing, and suddenly working, working, and working on yourself to become a better and more powerful you.

Well, I don't really want to bore you with all of the details but let me sum it up really quick. Divorced parents, unhealthy relationship with mother, NO relationship with father, desperate for attention. A rebellious but dream filled child with a kind loving heart and desire to make others around me happy. My past in a nutshell. Obviously, it led to teen pregnancy, single parenting, bad parenting, marriage to an addict (but a sweet loving addict), a major life crash, burn, and then a long harsh journey back to what's right and good.

And this is where I begin. I have learned my weaknesses, and I'm still trying to overcome them, but I have also learned my strengths and I am learning to accept them and mostly to stop apologizing for them.

I am a dreamer. My dreaming got me through the harshest years of my life. It has given me creativity to write music, and led me to many business ventures. Some successful on their own small scale, but most, I'm not going to lie, have been embarrassing disasters.

I love. I want to be loved, and I want to be IN love again one day. I am kind. Even when someone disrespects me I still try to be kind and gracious. I may not trust them, or allow them to sucker me again, but I will still be there with open arms should they need me. When I got divorced, people said I shouldn't let my ex come over so much, or at least make him pay his child support before he can see his kids, but I don't think my kids should have to pay for their parent's bad choices. So I allowed him to stay in our lives and now that he is part of my kids daily lives I know I made the right decision. But by having to defend my choice to friends and family, I realized that's who I am and I'm not going to apologize for it. I am not vindictive and I don't play games just to have the upper hand because it makes me feel gross and I don't want to be gross. I want to be kind. I am empathetic, and I'm not sorry.

So where does this take me? Duh! After countless pity parties and finally getting over myself I learned it just means that I am a normal person like everybody else with the same heart aches, pains, wins, and losses. That doesn't make separate or make me special. What sets me apart from the rest of the world is how I choose to overcome those trials. And that has led me to the point I am painstakingly trying to make. How I choose to deal with situations is what defines who I am and has been ingrained in me by where I come from. That is something special and unique. I am Native American and I love it.

I am Dineh'. In Navajo it means The People. And the Dineh' are special. We believe in families, in sharing, and walking as one with the earth. It's walking in beauty in every way. The women of Dineh' are the strong ones. We are the leaders. We love and we are not selfish. We share, we give, we help where help is needed and we work HARD. This is who I am. I may not have grown up on the reservation, but I own, and have the qualities of the strong Navajo woman. Despite the relationship strains and the lack of credit I give, I learned how to be a strong, independent Navajo woman who never gives up by watching my mother because that's what she is too.

In the Navajo culture, children take the name of the mothers clan, but say they are "born for" their fathers clan. I am Kiyaa'aanii (Kee-ya-onee), born for the Kin l ichii'nii (Kin-lih-chee-nee) clan. In English, it translates into the Towering House People and the Red House People. I'm pretty sure, based on my clan names I was born to do real estate! How totally convenient it is that my business involves houses and RED none the less, as it is the color that signifies Keller Williams Realty which I belong to. So from this day forth, my business empire is Tall Red House. Hear it and remember it because like Hammy and I say....we're going to take over the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment